You Don’t Have to Have It All Figured Out
At some point, you look around and realise everyone seems to be moving forward except you.
Someone has a new job. Someone is travelling. Someone is getting married, starting a business, moving to a new city, or finally becoming the person they always wanted to be.
And you’re still trying to figure out what you’re doing with your life.
I’ve felt that way more times than I can remember.
I remember one night sitting on my bed with my phone in my hand, scrolling through social media without really paying attention to what I was seeing. It was late, and I had already spent most of the evening thinking about things I wanted to change in my life.
Then I started seeing everyone else’s progress.
A friend had started a new job. Someone I knew was travelling. Another person had launched a project they’d been talking about for months. Everyone seemed to have something to show for their time.
I looked at my own life and suddenly felt like I had nothing to show.
I put my phone down, opened it again, checked a few more posts, and then finally turned the screen off.
For a few minutes, I just sat there in silence.
The strange part was that nothing had actually gone wrong that day. I hadn’t failed at anything. I hadn’t lost anything. I had simply spent twenty minutes looking at other people’s highlights and somehow turned them into evidence that I wasn’t doing enough.
That night made me realise how easily comparison can change the way you see your own life.
There are days when I still wonder if I’m doing enough, whether I should be further ahead by now, or if I’ve somehow missed the moment when life was supposed to start making sense.
Maybe you’ve felt that too.
There are periods when I feel confident about where I’m going. I make plans, set goals, and genuinely believe I know what I’m doing. Then something changes. The plan doesn’t work out, something I was counting on doesn’t happen, or life simply takes a turn I wasn’t prepared for.
And suddenly, I’m back to asking myself, Okay, what now?
For a long time, I thought I needed an answer to everything. I wanted to know where I’d be a year from now, what I’d achieve, whether I’d be successful, and when things would finally start making sense.
I’m slowly learning to be okay with not knowing.
Life doesn’t always follow the plan we make for it. Sometimes you can work incredibly hard and still not get what you wanted. You can make a decision that felt right at the time and later realise that you would have chosen differently. You can spend years moving toward something, only to discover that it isn’t what you want anymore.
And starting over can feel awful, especially when you thought you’d already made it further than that.
But starting over doesn’t mean you’re back where you began. You carry your experiences with you—the mistakes, the people you’ve lost, the lessons you didn’t expect to learn, and even the difficult moments you once wished you could forget.
All of those things become part of the person you are becoming.
That’s why I don’t think life has a fixed timeline. Some people find their direction early, while others need years to understand what they really want. Some people follow one path for a long time and then completely change it. None of those journeys is automatically wrong.
We’re all figuring it out while we’re living it.
So if you’re reading this and feeling like you’re behind, take a moment before comparing your life with someone else’s. You probably don’t know what they’re struggling with, just as they don’t know what you’ve had to overcome.
Maybe you don’t need to know exactly where you’re going yet. Maybe the next step is enough.
Keep moving when you can, rest when you need to, and change direction when something no longer feels right. There is nothing strange about taking a different route than the one you imagined.
None of us knows exactly how the story ends. We turn the page and find out as we go.
So maybe tonight, before you ask yourself whether you’re doing enough, ask yourself something different: What is one thing I genuinely want to keep moving toward?
It doesn’t have to be a huge goal. It doesn’t have to impress anyone. It just has to matter to you.
And if you’re still figuring it out, that’s okay too.
Take the next step. Then another when you’re ready.
You don’t have to have your whole life figured out today.
— Sourav13
Comments
Post a Comment