The Version of Me I Had to Leave Behind

 There was a time when I thought growing up meant becoming stronger.

I thought I would slowly learn how to handle everything, how to stop caring about what people say, how to stop getting hurt, and how to keep moving no matter what happens.

But I was wrong.

Sometimes growing up doesn’t make you stronger in the way you imagined. Sometimes, it simply teaches you which parts of yourself you can no longer carry.

There was an older version of me who trusted people easily.

He believed that if he cared enough, others would care the same way. He believed that if he stayed honest, people would always be honest with him. He gave second chances even when the first one had already hurt.

I don’t hate that version of me.

Actually, I miss him sometimes.

He was softer.

He laughed more easily. He believed in people without asking too many questions. He didn’t think twice before giving someone a piece of his heart.

Then life happened.

Some people left.

Some stayed, but changed.

Some memories became difficult to remember, while others became impossible to forget.

And somewhere between all those moments, I changed too.

I started understanding that not everyone who walks into your life is meant to stay. Some people arrive only to teach you something. Some leave a memory behind. And some leave a silence that takes a very long time to understand.

For a while, I thought changing meant losing myself.

Maybe it wasn’t.

Maybe I was simply learning how to protect the person I still was underneath everything.

I had to leave behind the version of me who kept explaining himself to people who had already decided not to understand.

I had to leave behind the version who stayed where he was no longer valued.

I had to leave behind the habit of looking back at every closed door and wondering what was behind it.

It wasn’t easy.

Because leaving an old version of yourself behind can feel strangely similar to saying goodbye to someone you loved.

You remember how that person used to think.

How they used to dream.

What they used to believe.

And sometimes, you wish you could go back and tell them:

“Don’t worry. You’ll understand one day.”

Maybe that’s what memories really are.

Not just things that happened in the past, but pieces of ourselves that still live somewhere inside us.

Some memories remind us of who we were.

Some remind us of what we lost.

And some quietly show us how far we’ve come.

I don’t want to erase the person I used to be.

He made mistakes, but he also loved deeply.

He trusted too much, but he also believed in something.

He got hurt, but he kept going.

So perhaps growing up isn’t about becoming someone completely new.

Perhaps it’s about carrying the lessons forward while leaving the pain behind.

And maybe, somewhere along the way, we realize that the version of ourselves we had to leave behind wasn’t a failure.

It was simply a chapter.

A chapter that had to end so another one could begin.

Maybe growing up isn’t about becoming someone new. Maybe it’s about finally understanding the person we had to leave behind.

— Sourav13
Author of THE LAST MEMORY


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Started Writing Stories

When Life Doesn’t Go According to Plan